A solo guard workout with dribbling, finishing and shooting (live dribble and off a catch). Also see Secret Weapon Workouts #1 and #2 (pdfs).
See Coach Rock (YouTube)
- Perfect shooting workout
- Mikans, reverse Mikans, floaters, elbow pull-ups, hesi pull-ups, 5-spot 3s, square-up 3s
, crossover pull-ups, stepbacks
, free throws.
- Point-guard workout
- Dynamic warm-up, form shooting
, stationary ballhandling, 5-spot shooting (mid-range, 3s), double-move pull-ups
, pick and rolls
(go around, split, reject, shoot from behind), iso moves (e.g. hesi pulls).
1) Stationary ballhandling (one ball)
a) 200 chore drill
- right-hand, pound dribble and inside-out, 25 times (50 dribbles)
- repeat with the left hand
- pound, between the legs, 50 dribbles
- pound, behind the back, 50 dribbles
- pound, crossover, 50 dribbles.
b) Hangman drill
Make a double move, then hesitate and stand up (hang dribble, feet shoulder width apart). Go 15 times for each double move, change hands and repeat
- between the legs, back under
- between, crossover
- between, between
- between, behind.
c) Power crossovers - 50 dribbles for each, continuous
- front v-dribble (each hand)
- side v-dribble (each hand)
- between and under (both sides)
- behind the back.
d) Finesse crossovers - continuous
- double-tap crossovers
- between cross
- behind cross
- inside-out cross.
2) Point-guard finishing
From the top, make 3 of each going right and left (18 total makes).
- Switch-hand runners - attack with the left hand, switch hands (crossover left to right), jab left, keep going, finish with a runner (a floater off one foot).
- Switch-hand crossover floaters - attack, switch hands, jab opposite, crossover (or between the legs - KP), finish with a floater off two feet (jump stop).
- Blow-by Euro-step floaters - attack with the left hand, jab right, keep going, finish with a Euro-step floater (off one foot).
(Progression - dribble-jab cross - left-hand attack, jab right, jab left and crossover)
- different attacking moves, e.g. inside-out crossover, scissor series
- different finishes, e.g. spin pullback, pro hop, power layup, reverse layup
- attack from the wings.
See Dribbling series
, Dribbling - KP series
, Kevin O'Neill moves
, Layups - Primary-secondary moves
, Relph cross-jab series
3) Shot creator
Use 4 cones on each side, dribble into a hesitation-series pull-up. For each dribble series, take one of each shot, repeat on the other side (18 total shots).
- one dribble, between the legs
- one dribble, behind the back
- one dribble, inside-out (outside the cones).
- hesitation - dribbling with the right hand, skip on the left foot then R-L into a pull-up shot (a freeze pull-up with outside-inside stop)
- hesitation crossover (Iverson)
- hesitation inside-out (counter).
Other hesitation shooting
- stutter (three steps)
- between hesi (float, glide, gallop step)
- throw crossover
- other freeze pull-ups, e.g., inside-out
- dribble outside directly around the last cone
- crossover pull-ups (see below), stepbacks, pullbacks
- tight zig-zag cones (one dribble between each move)
- loose zig-zag cones (two dribbles between)
4) Quick first-step pull-ups
Spin a pass from the wing, run into a quick jump stop then immediately into a one-dribble pull-up using 1-2 crossover footwork.
Alternate going left-right, take 10 from each wing and from the top (30 shots).
Variation - permanent (left) pivot foot, a three-step move going right (R-L-R), two-step crossover going left (R-L), or a three-step crossover (R-L-R) to create space.
- hop instead of a 1-2 into the shot
- use toss-outs, hop pivot to square up (see Toss-out shooting
below), or catch and go on the move (see Group workout
- two dribbles
- stepbacks, drag stepbacks, scissor stepbacks
- triple threat counters (jab step, shot fake)
- start from triple threat, with no spin pass.
5) Crossover pull-ups
Attack from a wing, make a change-of-direction move into a pull-up jump shot, the progression is
- crossover move - immediately into a shot, no extra dribble needed
- between the legs - then take an extra dribble
- behind the back - extra dribble.
Make the same move dribbling back out for the next shot.
Make one shot going right and left for each move, repeat from the top and other wing.
Other pull-up dribble moves
- inside-out, double inside-out, inside-out cross, between, or behind (wrap)
- double moves - cross cross, between cross, between between, between wrap
- spin move - cross (or between), take another dribble, spin into a shot (most of the time spin moves are used as a counter)
- stepbacks - between cross stepback (towards the baseline), cross stepback (middle).
6) Toss-out shooting
Spin self passes from under the basket, pivot open to the floor (to the middle, jump stop or 1-2), take 10 shots from each spot, the spots are
- baseline to baseline (corner to corner, one spot)
- wing to wing
- elbow to elbow
- at the top, alternating left-right pivots.
Take mid-range or 3-point shots (40 shots), or both (80 shots).
- shoot for makes at each spot, 5 for mid-range, 4 for 3-point shots
- catch and go middle, one-dribble pull-up (1-2 and jump stop)
- jab step (always middle), shoot
- jump stop facing away, shoulder fake middle, front pivot and shoot baseline
- or outside-foot reverse pivot (sweep), shoot.
On the move for a shot, instead of a 1-2 use a 3-step push-off, catch with the outside foot on the floor, then 1-2. Running off a screen, start turning as soon as you get off the screen so you are almost squared up on the catch.
Dennis Stanton - shooting workout
(YouTube) - 5 spots (corner, corner, wing, wing, and top, from both sides), spin passes from under the basket, use a 1-2 stop with inside pivot foot, make two in a row from each spot (or 3 in a row, or make 7 to 10), take 10 free throws between each set,
- mid-range shots (15-foot)
- mid-range pull-ups (jab-crossover baseline, 1-2 footwork)
- shot-fake pull-ups (crossover)
- 3-point shots.
- use a hop or catch-and-go to crossover-step baseline and middle
- inside foot front pivot with cheat step
- inside foot reverse pivot
- reverse pivot with jab step
- permanent pivot foot.
Kevin Bellamy - toss-out baseline shooting, alternate sides, pivot middle, +1 for a make, -2 for a miss, play to +10 or -10.
For more on footwork, see Layups - Blast cuts, Shooting - Pop-out, 5star foul-line flash, Tom Crean fill cuts, Chair drills, Flare-wing, Borg, Blasone, Pitt sweep series, Bill Self perimeter, Procopio wing workout, Beat the closeout, Thrive3 footwork, (e.g. 1-2 on the move), Footwork - Jay Wright jab-swing series, 5star cutting, Dave Smart first step.