a) Cross and pull
Crossover dribble outside (move laterally, use a cross-step), pull-up jumper.
b) Cross and step back
Crossover dribble and cross-step, one dribble and step back.
c) Behind the back shuffle.
Behind the back dribble, shuffle, shoot.
- crossover stepback with no extra dribble.
- crossover, float and run with the ball (two steps), one-dribble stepback.
- behind the back (wrap) stepback (with or without an extra dribble)
- separate using a lateral bound into a drop position, step up, shoot
- drop move, cross (or cross pullback), shoot.
See YouTube videos:
Augie Johnston - Kemba Walker stepbacks
- crossover with big cross-step, no extra dribble, step back
- progression – run with the ball (two more steps), take a dribble on the step back.
DJ Sackmann - Crossover into motion steps
- crossover dribble with cross-step, the next dribble is on the third step (i.e. next step with the cross-step foot).
- skip crossover (Iverson)
- skip crossover stepback (no extra dribble).
- lateral behind the back (kick step),
- push cross to lateral space,
- wrap stepback (extra dribble or not)
Castellaw - Triple combo move - between, wrap, stepback.
Coleman Ayers - Curry workout off the dribble includes
- continuous in-and-out wraps, cover ground
- in-and-out wrap 3s (2 dribbles with a shuffle to set the feet),
- in-and-out wrap stepbacks (3 dribbles)
- in and out wrap inverted drag (3 dribbles)
- behind the back glide to behind the back snatch (2 dribbles).
Reid Ouse - Lateral bound vs. bounce-off,
- lateral bound - push off the inside foot and kick it behind, skip off the outside foot, land in a drop stance
- lateral bounce off - kick the inside foot over the top, a cross-step.
Jared Berggren - Lateral bound breakdown - going right to left can get to a lateral bound using a crossover, between the legs or behind the back.
Use cross-step (bounce off), shuffle (kick step) or bound footwork for lateral separation. Use a push-out (or inside-out) move for strong-side separation, e.g. see YouTube videos - Nasty hesi, Curry Shooting Drills #1.