Steve Nash Youth Basketball Practice Plan
Two teams, one on each side, shooters pop out from the baseline for a pass, first team to make 10 shots wins (shooters rebound and go to their passing line with the ball, passers go to the shooting line). Switch sides.
Angie McLeod - four-line shooting - bottom players pop out for a shot, rebound, go to opposite top line, passers basket cut and step out to bottom lines.
(Options - tight curl, soft curl to the elbow, pop to the wing, bump and fade, flash to the elbow)
Jay Triano - Turnout drill (use cones)
- shooters have to fake inside first (hands and eyes, and step) and passers have to pass fake inside, shooters come off low, inside pivot foot, catch and shoot
- against a defender who chases, come off the screen, catch, push the ball out in front (one dribble into the lane), catch up, shoot (move the cones up and out a bit)
- if a defender shoots the gap, fade, keep your butt low
- get open with an L cut, attack the top leg with your inside leg, on the catch you want it high outside, sweep and get it low as fast as you can, outside pivot foot, straight to the basket
- then L-cut and go backdoor, push off the outside foot, passer first fakes a pass.
It's not a shooting drill, it's a basketball drill.
The biggest thing is learning how to play before you get the ball.
See Shooting - Lee Rose guards
, Procopio game shots
, Duke downscreens
, 5star downscreens
, Bill Self perimeter
(cheat step), Procopio wing
(drop a jab step), 5star foul-line flash
(other footwork options), 2-line make 7