Pivot, step into a pass to the next player in line, follow the pass to the back of the line, the next player catches in triple threat, dribbles out, continue.
- front or back pivot on the outside foot to create separation
- back pivot on the inside foot to seal a defender
- front pivot on the inside foot, take the ball high or low to protect it
- chest, bounce, push passes
- weak-hand dribble
- pass and close out, and work in pairs (breakthroughbasketball.com)
- attack the close-out with a triple-threat move
Variation - start without a ball, run out, jump stop, pivot, run back, see Footwork - Bigelow pivoting.
Matthew Dellavedova - Intermediate passing,
- dribble out, jump stop, front pivot on the right foot, push pass with the left hand
- pivot on the left foot, right-hand pass.
7 progressions for footwork and passing.
- left foot front pivot, chest pass
- right foot front pivot, chest pass
- left foot inside (back) pivot, bounce pass
- right foot inside pivot, bounce pass
- left foot front pivot, right foot step thru, left hand bounce pass
- right foot front pivot, left foot step thru, right hand bounce pass
- left foot front pivot, step thru, front pivot (spin), chest pass
- right foot front pivot, step thru, front pivot, chest pass
- left foot drop step (with the right foot), inside pivot, bounce pass.
The inside foot is the pivot foot all but once.
- dribble out (use both hands), jump stop, front pivot (use both feet, ball off either hip or shoulder, not in front of the torso, keep the hips level, don't raise up), push pass, the baseline player jump stops to catch (ball in the air, feet in the air)
- reverse pivot
- crossover or same-side drive, use both feet as the pivot foot
- the passer closes out on the baseline player with both feet together and one arm straight out, the baseline player drives shoulder to hip under the elbow (take a long step).
- dribble with the right hand, jump stop, front pivot on the ball of the left foot, chest pass
- reverse pivot on the left foot (against strong defence), step and pass
- step over and sweep - jump stop, ball on right hip then to right shoulder, step over with the right foot (crossover) and rip the ball overhead to the left, sweep right, reverse pivot and pass.
Jody Runge (WBCA) - make a live-ball move (without traveling), dribble to the foul line, jump stop, pivot, right-hand flick air pass to the next player, who catches with a jump stop, the passer makes a change of direction and goes to the back of the line (V-cut, L-cut, reverse spin). Variations - weak-hand or overhead pass. Step into and step to meet every pass.
See Footwork - 5star pairs jab vs close-out, Dave Smart first step.