Princeton Point series
(Coach Daniel) - 1 can wave through 4, 5 comes up to the weakside elbow into the action (see below).
4 passes to 5 and flows into split action, cutting over or away from the post to screen for the next player.
- 4 makes a bounce pass.
a) Point Over
4 cuts over 5 and sets a pindown screen for 2, who can get a handback or DHO from 5, who rolls.
- 4 can slip the pindown.
- 4 can curl around 5 to the rim or get a handback.
- zoom action is a downscreen into a hand-off. 2 keeps going if the DHO is denied, screener 4 comes back and gets the hand-off.
2 can reject the pindown and backcut to the rim; if there is no pass to 2, 5 flows into a ballscreen with 4.
- 2 can curl the pindown to the rim.
- 4 can reject the ballscreen and attack baseline.
- 5 can DHO instead of ballscreen.
- 5 can fake a DHO and keep the ball to attack.
- backcut on switches and defensive pressure. 2 backcuts and clears, creating a two-man side, 4 gets a hand-off.
- rejecting the split sets up an empty ballscreen. Xavier has 2 almost always reject the pindown and get a screen coming out the other side.
b) Point Away
4 passes to 5 and screens away for 3, who almost always rejects the screen and backcuts.
3 can post and look for a high-low pass.
4 pops out if there is no pass, 3 clears.
- 3 can backcut, curl the screen to the rim, or use the screen to get a DHO from 5.
Stanford Away Action - 3 can use the screen, get a pass and ballscreen from 5.
5 passes to 4 and follows to ballscreen, 4 can use or reject the screen.
Richmond Spiders - more often than not the ballhandler rejects the screen. If 5 has no pass to 3 or 4, he will turn and go into a DHO with 2.
Stanford Away Action - if 4 is denied, 5 dribbles at X4, triggering a backcut.
c) Playing the other way
If the split action with 2 and 4 is covered, 5 can turn and DHO to 3.
2) Over, Away, Middle
See Point Series Explained.
Point options are Over, Away, and Middle.
Instead of a pindown on Point Over, 4 can curl over 5 to the rim, or get a handback (see below).
On Point Away, 3 can backcut, curl the screen to the rim, or keep going for a DHO.
Point Middle is another option, 4 cuts up the middle of the floor, and optionally gets a pindown screen into a DHO ("Under").
Richmond Spiders - the first option is always a basket cut, which is rarely available.
3) Chin into Point Series
See Furman Chin to Point Over.
Use a chin cut to get into the Point series.
Here 5 is weakside so 4 chin cuts with no slot-to-slot pass.
1 enters the ball to 5, cuts over and pins down for 3, who curls the screen.
If 5 is denied, 1 spin dribbles (a roll-out), 2 backcuts (and can post up), 1 passes to 4 on the wing and gets a flarescreen from 5.
5 is ballside, pass and chin cut by 1, 4 passes to 5 and cuts over, gets a handback.
5 can roll, or pop out top.
Point over, 2 rejects the pindown, DHO with 4.
5 passes and ballscreens (in the video, 3 dives from weakside, shown).
Point over, 4 slips a pindown screen, 2 gets a DHO from 5.
Point over, 2 rejects the pindown, 4 pops out.
5 passes and ballscreens, 4 rejects the ballscreen and drives baseline.
1 dives from the 45 if X2 helps on the drive and X1 covers down to help the helper.
Point over, 2 rejects a pindown, 5 fakes a DHO to 4, keeps the ball and turns the corner.